The Department of Commerce is one of the oldest departments of Darrang College. The Department was established in the year 1947 when commerce was introduced in the college as a subject under the Arts faculty in that year under the Calcutta University. With the establishment of Gauhati University in 1948, Darrang College was brought under it. Gauhati University granted temporary affiliation to the intermediate course in Commerce vide letter No.GUL/NO.G/EC/2/62/48G dated 04.04.1962. The Degree Course in Commerce was affiliated permanently by Gauhati University vide letter No.G/Aff/1/63/19818 dated 20.10.1963.
Initially, classes were held in the evening shift in the main building. The classes were then shifted to the morning shift since 1984, which subsequently shifted to the day shift when the Department shifted to the Commerce Building in 1994.
The motto of the Department is to imparting commerce education in the region and to produce quality commerce graduates who may be well fit for facing challenges in competitive environment. Since inception, the students of the department have been showing brilliant academic results. The department has produced a number of students who have been successfully employed within and outside the country. Today the Department claims to be a major institution of commerce education in the entire state as well as the most prominent and the oldest department in the North Bank of Brahmaputra.